How do we control our tongues?
First, do we recognize what impact our words have on others? Second, do we recognize what impact our words have on ourselves? Third, do we recognize what the outcome of negative words will be, not only to others, but to ourselves, as well?
We seem to live in a world where it is highly respectable to voice your opinion without regard to the effects of what those words create.
After reading, RT Kendall's "Controlling The Tongue", I ran across key points for conversation. Included below will be a key point and a verse to corroborate God's teachings that are associated with these problematic areas.
Don't Blame! Romans 2:1
"If you judge someone else, you have no excuse for it. When you judge another person, you are judging yourself. You do the same things you blame others for doing."
No Pity Parties! Genesis 42:36
Their father Jacob said to them, “You have taken my children away from me. Joseph is gone. Simeon is gone. Now you want to take Benjamin. Everything is going against me!”
Give God the last word! Proverbs 16:1
"People make plans in their hearts.
But the Lord controls what they say."
But the Lord controls what they say."
Do not manipulate providence! Proverbs 21:30
"No wisdom, wise saying or plan
can succeed against the Lord."
Do not always try to prove that you're right! Luke 16:14-15
(The greatest freedom is having nothing to prove...Pete Cantrell)
14 "The Pharisees loved money. They heard all that Jesus said and made fun of him. 15 Jesus said to them, “You try to make yourselves look good in the eyes of other people. But God knows your hearts. What is worth a great deal among people is hated by God."
Do not try to prove that you are stronger! 2 Corinthians 13:4
"It is true that Christ was nailed to the cross because he was weak. But he lives by God’s power. In the same way, I share his weakness. But by God’s power I will live with him to serve you."
Don't compare yourself to others, thinking that you're better. Luke 18:11
“The Pharisee stood up and prayed about himself. ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other people,’ he said. ‘I am not like robbers or those who do other evil things. I am not like those who commit adultery. I am not even like this tax collector."
Do not speak out of fear! Philippians 4:6
"Don’t worry about anything. Instead, tell God about everything. Ask and pray. Give thanks to him."
Do not lose your temper! Proverbs 16:32
"It is better to be patient than to fight.
It is better to control your temper than to take a city."
Practice total forgiveness! 2 Corinthians 2:10
"Anyone you forgive I also forgive. Was there anything to forgive? If so, I have forgiven it for your benefit, knowing that Christ is watching."
So, the mantra that we should remember before speaking is always NEED
N--Is it necessary? Do I really need to say this right now?
E--Does it emancipate? Will my words set them free or make them a prisoner of anger?
E--Does it energize? Will my words provide them with the energy and ability to cope?
D--Does it dignify? Will my words make this person feel significant or will it make them feel small?
Reference Verses:
2 Peter 2:9
1 Corinthians 13:5
Romans 12:19
Psalms 37:8
Proverbs 16:32
Colossians 4:6
1 Peter 3:9
Proverbs 29:11
Jeremiah 17:9

Thanks, I like "NEED". Sometimes I just run my mouth about stuff and later, I'm like "why did I say that?"
ReplyDeleteMe too, Joy Me too
DeleteThe tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole body, sets the whole course of one's life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell. James 3:6
ReplyDeleteAmen!!!
Delete