Sunday, June 30, 2013
Walking On Egg Shells
I have been married 3 times. And in each marriage, I have felt like I was walking on egg shells with my spouse. I never felt like I was enough or that I did enough to please my spouse.
After each divorce, I wondered why I felt those emotions.
Why do we feel that we are not enough or that we do not do enough to please each other?
The answer is quite simple: You're trying to please the wrong person. If you're both trying to please God with your thoughts, words and actions, then you will have less turmoil in your marriage.
The moment you leave God out, even just for a few minutes, you open the door to Satan. And he loves a good fight. He loves the strife, the hatred, the anger, the turmoil, and the utter resentment that he can cause in your lives.
So, what do you do when you feel an disagreement coming on? Do you clam up and refuse to argue, effectively shutting down communication?
Do you immediately latch on to the other person's faults and start in on them, deftly avoiding the real reason for the disagreement? Do you immediately start yelling and screaming so you can be heard first?
What should we do when we feel a disagreement upon us? What's the first thing that a married couple should do during this time?
Try this the next time you feel a disagreement coming on between you and your spouse:
Take each other's hand, sit down, bow your heads and pray. Pray together that God will give you the answers that you need in order to resolve the conflict. Do NOT stop praying until you feel His peace and His presence. Stop Satan in his tracks by inviting God into your disagreements with the person you have bound your life to forever. Give God the reins, ask for your next move with Him right beside you, and then take a deep breath in and let it out slowly. Look at your spouse now. What do you see? Do you see the person that you love and want to spend the rest of your life with? Do you see the person that has been beside you during your best and worst times? Keep those things in mind as you both seek to resolve the differences.
As for me and my sordid past, I want to remember that. If I ever get that chance to have someone in my life again, I want to remember to get God in on everything. If He's there in the beginning and is the focus, and if you both keep Him the focus, then the huge mountains that seem impassable become little hills that you can climb together with His guidance.
Just remember the next time you resent your spouse or you think that you regret being with that person or you think hurtful things about that person: Why are you NOT getting on your knees with that person to get to the heart of the matter? Why? Because you're letting Satan drive. Revoke his license and give God the wheel again.
Quit walking on egg shells and start collecting those eggs together. Fill your basket with love. His love. Your love for one another.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment